A Brief History of Grace Lutheran Church
Grace Lutheran Church in Smithville, Texas was officially organized on March 13, 1927. The opening service was held on the second floor of the old City Hall building with 7 communicant members and 13 baptized members in attendance.
The first Bible class began in July 1929 and in September of the same year work began on the new church building. The completed chapel was dedicated on April 27, 1930. Over the years the chapel was expanded and renovated as the congregation grew. During this time the congregation also purchased additional property as needed. In the fall of 1984 construction was started on a new church building. The new church was dedicated on August 4, 1985 and is still being used today.
On August 17, 1992 Grace Learning Center was opened to serve the community of Smithville. The center has 50 children enrolled.
The congregation has Bible Study and fellowship opportunities for all ages, including Mid-Week classes, Youth Group, Sunday School, Adult Bible classes, Lutheran Women's Missionary League and Lutheran Laymen's League.
In 2002 the Learning Center celebrated its 10th year of operation and the congregation observed its 75th Anniversary with a Celebration Worship Service and dinner.
Rev. Robert G. Lange 1926-1927
Rev. O.C. Schreiner 1928-1939
Rev. Henry C. Nickel 1940-1943
Rev. J.W. Jackson 1945-1949
Rev. H.L. Wiederaenders 1950-1958
Rev. A. Michalk 1959-1962
Rev. Ewald Recks 1962-1967
Rev. Earl A. Bielefeld 1967-1968
Rev. Edwin F. Lange 1969-1972
Rev. LaVerne J. Fitch 1972-1983
Rev. William H. Usher 1983-1985
Rev. Alfred E. Gallmeier 1985-1998
Rev. James M. Richardson 1999-2007
Rev. Timothy Appel 2010-Present